To qualify as an SCP Instructor:
- Candidates must possess and demonstrate a solid background in firearm safety and shooting skills acquired through previous firearm training and/or previous shooting experience. Instructor candidates must be intimately familiar with each action type in the discipline they wish to be certified.
- Candidates will be required to demonstrate solid and safe firearm handling skills required to be successful during an instructor training course by completing pre-course questionnaires and qualification exercises administered by the SCP Appointed Training Program and under European State Member legislation.
- Candidates must satisfactorily complete an SCP Instructor Training Course in the discipline they wish to teach (e.g., SCP Basic Pistol Course), and receive the endorsement of the SCP Training Instructor conducting that training.
- SCP Instructor courses are discipline specific. During the course candidates will learn SCP&Eu Regulation policies and procedures; basic public speaking skills; training methodology; use of a training team and training aids; organizing a course, building a budget; and finally preparing to teach. In addition, candidates will be provided the appropriate lesson plans and basic course student packets. Role-playing is a major part of an instructor course; therefore, the minimum class size should be at least four candidates, with 10-12 candidates being ideal. Candidates take turns working in teams, actually conducting portions of the course to other candidates who portray basic students.
- Instructor training courses are conducted by SCP Training Instructors in collaboration with Police Force and Gov Entities. Training Personnel are active and experienced instructors who have been certified by SCp& EU Legislation to train experienced shooters to teach others to shoot. Training Counselors will evaluate candidates’ performance based on their ability to handle the firearms with confidence, use of appropriate training aids, following the lesson plans and meeting all learning objectives, while utilizing the teaching philosophies expected of SCP Certified Instructors. Candidates can also expect to learn the SCP discipline specific instructional methods and evaluating and improving the performance of beginning shooters.